Monday, August 1, 2016

Slave to the Scale: A Blessing and a Curse

     For as long as I can remember I have been a slave to the scale. I wake up each morning and step on. I can't start my day without stepping on. I was thinking stepping on the scale daily made it harder on me but now that I think of it again, it is my motivation even if it can be unkind at times.

     Our weight fluctuates on a daily basis. If I don't drink enough water one day I will weigh a pound or so more the next, if I eat later in the night then I will weigh more. If I don't eat after 6 PM I will weigh less. So this is a roller coaster ride for sure.

     I thought that maybe this roller coaster ride was a negative thing but the more I think of it, I think it best to look at my addiction to the scale as a positive and enjoy the ride.

     When I am working on weight loss and I step on the scale it is my motivation to continue on. If I step on and see I have lost any weight, I am excited. If I step on the next day to have gained that back I am discouraged but yet determined to lose that pound again.

     I know the true weight is the one that is taken each week and even that can fluctuate from week to week. However it is a more legitimate guide. How clothes fit and how I feel are the best guide of course but the scale keeps me on track.

     I know from past experience when I stop stepping on my scale the pounds pile on. I even avoid the scale because I know that I am being "naughty". That is when I am just eating what I want and not trying to lose. It is just a pattern with me. So when I finally step on I am depressed.

     I have decided to look at my scale slavery in a new light, it keeps me on track, it drives me and so this curse is only a curse if I let it be one it is more of a blessing to me.

9 comments:

  1. I thought of getting a a scale. As I wonder if it would help to focus on losing weight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been on a diet in my life! I guess it's a girl thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is...I never had to when I was younger but now I am fat.

      Delete
  3. good luck with it, dieting isn't easy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true, it is very hard. I love food.

      Delete
  4. I do hear alot about scale woes w my friends on diets

    ReplyDelete
  5. I weigh often and I am 20 pounds overweight :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be even more overweight than I am if I didn't weigh every day. I am 40 lbs over where I want to be.

      Delete